top of page
  • Lindsey King

Paper Theory Agnes, two ways


The Pattern


I'd been considering sewing some pyjamas for myself for some time and hadn't before because making my own hadn't ever really appealed!


I'd seen a few versions of the Paper Theory Agnes PJ's recently, with the top being used to make a shirt suitable for daytime wear. Now that did really appeal!


As I needed new PJ's for when the weather eventually warms up, I decided to make the full set first off.


The pattern is described as "relaxed loungewear suit".

The bottoms are simple with an elasticated waist and you have the choice of long trousers or shorts. They have no side seam so are quick to make - just one pattern piece.


The sizing is inclusive, going up to 57.5"/146cm hip, for size 28.

The shirt is very oversized with batwing sleeves, collar, patch pockets and button up front.


I made my size according to the size chart. It's meant to be oversized and that's my preference for pyjamas and loungewear.


I chopped the sleeves at elbow length as I would've run out of fabric if I'd cut the full pieces. Plus, for summer pyjamas a shorter sleeve is preferable.


The bottoms were very easy to make and took no time at all. I used a longer piece of elastic for the waist as I like 'em loose!



The shirt was relatively simple, the most difficult part was the collar. It was a different construction method to what I'd made before, but once I'd got my head around it all was fine.


I finished most of the insides with french seams which are given as an option in the instructions.


Finished off with a fitting label from the 2022 Kylie and the Machine calender.



Get your copy of the pattern here: https://papertheorypatterns.com/products/agnes-pjs


Fabric


I used a fabric that had sat in my stash for rather a long time! I bought it because it's beautiful but then I couldn't ever settle on what to turn it into.


From memory, it's a cotton viscose mix. So very easy to cut and sew but really lovely and soft. It also has a slight seersucker-like texture to it.


I bought it from Pretty Mercerie in France, who sadly no longer ship to the UK thanks to Brexit, but they do to many other countries.



Agnes take two


After making the pyjamas I knew I'd like a shirt version that I could wear as 'normal' clothes!

I'd seen a few of them pop up on Instagram and really liked the relaxed style.


I love loose fitting shirts and really like the relaxed collar of this one and the batwing sleeves.


For the blouse version I chose to size down one size, although in retrospect I could've gone down again. Largely because the fabric I used is very drapey.





While I have no problem with people wearing pyjamas as daywear, to make it a little more like an everyday garment, I opted to make cuffs for the sleeves.


I used the cuff pattern pieces from the Friday Pattern Company Patina blouse, as I knew how to make them and they had the look I was after.


To allow for the cuffs I chopped a few centimetres off the sleeve hems and gathered it to fit the cuffs.

I also made bias bound plackets on the sleeves to go with the cuffs, a la Patina.



The Fabric


I got this amazing deadstock viscose jacquard from Fabric Godmother a few months ago.

They don't have any of this one left but always have a great deadstock selection:


I immediately knew I would make a shirt or blouse with it so bought 1.5 metres.


It's very drapey but had a good hand; cutting it wasn't as painful as viscose can often be!


I didn't have quite enough to cut one of the front facings on the correct grain, proper Tetris had to happen! Hopefully it's not too noticeable and I don't really mind that it's different to the other side.


Details


I found some vintage buttons on Etsy that turned out to be the absolute perfect colour match for the green in the fabric.


I buy vintage buttons frequently; I love the variety of styles you get and it's nice to use items that are already in circulation than something new.


For the patch pockets I wanted one one to sit on my upper chest rather than lower down. I made a new pocket pattern piece by simply drawing a smaller version onto paper using my french curve ruler.


I really like this pattern, and I'll most definitely be making another pair of the pyjamas for summer, this time with shorter sleeves and perhaps shorts too! I think a cotton lawn would be very nicely, or maybe a viscose/linen mix.



79 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Comments


bottom of page